Thursday, March 19, 2009

A Fool For Christ

"Where is the wise man? Where is the scholar? Where is the philosopher of this age? Has not God made foolish the wisdom of the world? For since in the wisdom of God the world through its wisdom did not know him, God was pleased through the foolishness of what was preached to save those who believe. Jews demand miraculous signs and Greeks look for wisdom, but we preach Christ crucified: a stumbling block to Jews and foolishness to Gentiles, but to those whom God has called, both Jews and Greeks, Christ the power of God and the wisdom of God. For the foolishness of God is wiser than man’s wisdom, and the weakness of God is stronger than man’s strength."
1 Corinthians 1:20-25

I was in my second year of studies at McMaster University. The summer leading up to that particular semester I had served as a camp counselor at Camp Shalom. During that summer I had become convinced at the heart level of Christ's great love for me on the cross. God had moved in a powerful and beautiful way in my life. I entered that fall semester at McMaster a new man, excited about my faith...it didn't take long for me to become the fool for Christ.

I was sitting, for the first time, in a tutorial of about 25 students for a class called Cultural Anthropology. The Teachers' Assistant, a young and zealous graduate student all of about 25 years of age, began the class with a simple question for us: "Is there anyone in this class who calls themselves a Christian?" The question was met with silence, and at least for me, it seemed as if the off white walls of the windowless classroom were closing in on me. I cautiously raised my hand with my eyes fixed on the TA. It didn't take too long to glance around the rest of the room panoramically to notice that I was the only one in the class with my hand elevated. Either I was the only one in the class that believed in the life, death and resurrection of Jesus, or I was just the only one "foolish" enough to raise my hand.

The TA, looking smug, and without a doubt arrogantly enjoying his new found authority, replied to me with a smirk on his face..."Well, that won't last, I can guarantee that you will forget that foolishness by the end of the semester." Upon which the rest of the class snickered and guffawed as my faith was made to be the butt of the joke.

I remember for the longest time being severely offended that this man coined my faith foolishness. He made me out to be the fool in front of my peers in the attempt to encourage higher learning. However, the more I think of it now, particularly in light of the passage above - I will wear that insult as a badge of honor. I am a fool for Christ, and there is no shame in that. In fact, it was to me, a sign that I was on the right path.

Paul points out in his letter to the Corinthians that faith in Christ will always be foolishness to the wisdom of the Gentiles. The message of Christ crucified that I preach is illogical to our common senses entrenched and blinded by sin. The Gospel is foolishness and it is offensive precisely because it points out our responsibility in Christ's death.

The thing that offends and insults the sensibilities of the world so - to preach Christ crucified, is to put the blame squarely on our own shoulders. It is to confess our own negligence and responsibility in the death and punishment of Jesus. The reason that Jesus died that cruel death was us. He willingly took the punishment due to us so that we might be redeemed to eternal life and righteousness. We are the guilty ones deserving of the cross - if we had not sinned Jesus would not have ever needed to die.

People call this Gospel foolish because no one wants to believe that humanity at its core is sinful, and treacherous. It offends, because when we proclaim it, we are necessarily casting blame and responsibility on folks for the cruel death of an innocent.

I do not write this in order to encourage all to be one of those incorrigible "us and them" Christians who looks down there noses as the smug "Gentiles" of the world who "hear the message of the cross and are perishing." I write this as a reminder that I once was blind as well. I too was once one of the perishing ones. I heard the message of the gospel many times, and finally, one summer at Camp Shalom, thanks be to God, it was no longer foolishness but "the power of God leading to salvation."

I will continue to lovingly and humbly raise my hand and proclaim Christ crucified. I will endeavor to be a fool for Christ, if this is what is necessary for the Good News to be heard.

Be God's, Scott

1 comment:

  1. Was there no room for a Christian world vieuw at all? that's sad.

    ReplyDelete