Friday, March 6, 2009

Directions

"Show me your ways, O LORD,
teach me your paths;
guide me in your truth and teach me,
for you are God my Savior,
and my hope is in you all day long.
Remember, O LORD, your great mercy and love,
for they are from old.
Remember not the sins of my youth
and my rebellious ways;
according to your love remember me,
for you are good, O LORD."
Psalm 25: 4-7

I don't like the idea of the GPS technology. I suppose I don't like the idea of some computerized voice telling me where to go and when to turn. Why, you ask? Because I am amazing at directions, and finding my own way...OK...truth be told, not so much. I actually stink at directions, and finding my own way, but I am excellent at being stubborn and proud in my driver's seat. This, combined with my penchant for always wanting to be at least 5 minutes early for everything has caused me to be very snippy with my wife on more than one occasion (much to my shame ;) I'm not sure what possesses me to have this "do it on my own" tendency, but have it I do at times. Don't tell me where to go and when to turn. Let me find my own way, even if it means being late, getting lost, or sinning against my wife. What's up with that?

But I'm probably the only one with this problem...right? ;)

How many of us struggle with this stubborn pride in our spiritual life journeys as well? I mean, how many of us walk through life getting lost, taking wrong turns, and sinning against the ones we love all because we wont take the simple directions of our loving God? We think we know best, despite the fact that sin still clouds our decision making ability. Self-reliance trumps reliance on God much to our detriment. We are a stubborn lot aren't we?

David had it right - though I wonder how long it took him to come to this realization - when he finally said:

"Show me your ways - teach me your paths - guide me."

Oh that that would be my prayer as well, for my driving stubbornness is often reflective of my general spiritual stubbornness.

To rightly pray this to God, I think one needs to deny oneself and do two things: Confession and Obedience. Confession is a humble and honest admission that I don't really know the best way to live my life. I make mistakes and wrong turns. I sin and get lost. I confess that I cannot direct myself - I will always fail.

Obedience is listening for God's direction and then, well, obeying it. First, we must listen to God's direction through His Word and prayer. Then, thankfully, and trustingly doing that which God wants you to do. When God shows you the way to go - go that way. When God teaches you the correct path - take it. Where God guides - follow Him. Obedience is our act of submission and faith.

O LORD, save me from myself and my stubborn nature. Help me to remove my pride and help me to listen and trust. AMEN

Be God's, Scott

PS. It's my day off, so I am off for a drive with my wife...I promise to be humble and behave ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment