Monday, March 9, 2009

El Shaddai

"When Abram was 99 years old, the LORD appeared to Abram and said to him, "I am Almighty God; walk before Me and be blameless. And I will make a covenant between Me and you, and will multiply you exceedingly."
Genesis 17: 1-2

This scripture passage marks a very important moment in the history of the world as we know it. In it we see the beginnings of the covenant of grace - an agreement initiated by God between Himself and humans to once again bless us despite our sinful disobedience. This covenant was made with Abram, a man specially chosen by God to be the recipient of this unmerited gift. God promised to bless this 99 year old man with descendants that would out number the stars, a great name, and a father of many nations. Only problem from Abram's (and his wife Sarai) perspective was that they had no children, and humanly speaking they were a little past their prime (at least as far as child bearing went).

This passage comes 13 years after Abram and Sarai lost their patience and faith in the God who always keeps His promises. They decided to take matters into their own hands by hooking up Abram with Sarai's maidservant, Hagar. Consequently, Hagar had a child named Ishmael. However this child was not to be the child of promise. Abram and Sarai's sin and lack of patience with God only produced a child who was destined to become, "a wild man, whose hand shall be against every man, and every man's hand against him." Their disobedience had produced not a child of blessing, but of curse. Abram and Sarai had messed up their part of the covenant with incredible expediency, and they had to have known it. Interestingly enough, God did not speak to Abram again for 13 years after his failing - 13 years of silence from God.

But God did speak again, because unlike Abram, God keeps His promises. It may have taken 13 additional years, but God gracefully gave Abram and Sarai a second chance by reaffirming the covenant with him.

I think it's significant to note the name which God gives Himself in His re-introduction to Abram. He tells him that He is God Almighty. The Hebrew name used here is one you might be familiar with - El Shaddai. This name literally means - the God who is wholly sufficient - and most times when you find this name used by God in the Old Testament it is given in greeting whenever His servants are particularly despairing or hard pressed and need reassurance. Abram clearly questioned the sufficiency of the LORD to provide him a descendant, this much is obvious because he tried to provide one himself. Abram undoubtedly was despairing, likely wondering if his poor choice had removed God's favor from him.

But God did not give up on Abram...He came to him again reminding him that He is and always will be El Shaddai - the God who is wholly sufficient.

This story hits home for me in a couple of ways (and I wonder if the same is true for you): I see myself quite clearly in the sandals of Abram. I too have often questioned the fidelity of the LORD in the promises He has made to me. I have disobeyed His call to me to walk before Him and be blameless. I too have tried to provide for myself on my own, in any number of creative ill fated ways, and in so doing questioned His sufficiency in my life. By all accounts God should have left both Abram and I alone in the dust with the consequences of our choices. I would've had no reason for complaint.

However...God did not give up on me. With much grace and mercy, He continually re-introduces Himself to me as El Shaddai, the God who is wholly sufficient. Though reassured and humbled by this act, I suppose I shouldn't be surprised...I am after all (like you) one of those promised descendants [exceeding multiplications] of Abram, and God's promises run deep and long.

O LORD, please give me the courage and the strength to name you as the El Shaddai in every area of my life.

Be God's, Scott

No comments:

Post a Comment