Friday, April 8, 2011

Stumbling In The Dark

"While I am in the world, I am the light of the world.” - Jesus (John 9:5)

There was this exercise that I did with Youth Groups once upon a day, that was designed to teach them empathy and understanding to those in our society who must live with physical disabilities. Each young person would receive some type of device that would impede either one of their senses, or their ability to walk/ use their arms and hands (you get the idea). They would then have to try to live their life, either for the duration of the meeting, or for the duration of the day (during a weekend retreat). While they were temporarily "disabled" some of the other young people (who were not disabled) were tasked to help them get by.

I can vividly remember one instance when I took part and was given the "disability" of blindness. I was fitted with a very snug blindfold that did not let in even one hint of light. I can't tell you how difficult it was to get around and even accomplish simple tasks, let alone find my way. Even with my "guide," who I think secretly enjoyed watching me walk into things, I left that experience frustrated with none too many bruises and bumps.

For a leader it was very difficult to have to be led. For one used to seeing and moving freely it was very frustrating to stumble around in the dark.

The Bible describes our life on earth so entrenched in sin as people stumbling around in the darkness. We may not realize it, because for many it is the only life we know. Yet, that is what we do, we grope and feel our way through life, desperately seeking direction and the way to salvation, joy and peace. Our blind search always ends in futile frustration, complete with assorted bumps and bruises. The cold hard fact is that on our own, stumbling in the dark, we can never find our way.

Thanks be to God - Jesus is the way. He is the light of the world. When one puts their faith in Him to guide their life, He miraculously removes our spiritual blindness and deftly guides us towards salvation, joy and peace.

No one needs to experience the hurtful life of stumbling through life blindly. The light of the world is still in the world, through the power of His Spirit, promising to never leave nor forsake us. Anyone can have their blindfold removed, and no one can do it themselves. A courageous step of faith into the light of Jesus is all one needs.

I was so thankful when I was able to take off that blindfold and see again...I am so thankful that Jesus removed my spiritual blindfold and blessedly enabled me to see His paths of righteousness.

Be God's, Scott

No comments:

Post a Comment