Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Glove Love

"Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, they are a new creation; old things have passed away; behold all things have become new." 2 Corinthians 5:17

I have had the same baseball glove for years, and if you saw or ever had occasion to wear my glove, you would have no problem identifying this fact. It's old and beaten up - there are cracks and rips in the leather, and the lacing is all messed up. I tried rescuing my glove last year with a repair kit to no avail. Truth be told, my glove doesn't catch baseballs very well. I suppose it's time to get a new one. Here's the problem though...I'm comfortable with my old glove, I've grown accustomed to it, and I'm not sure I'm willing to part with her.

Besides, getting a new glove requires some adjustment and discomfort. For one, it comes all stiff and shiny. In order to get a new glove ready to play you have to work it in. You need some linseed oil and a lot of massaging, pounding and maneuvering to get it just right, otherwise your hand won't be able to squeeze it shut very well to catch the ball. It takes some time, effort and adjustment to get the glove just right. I'm not sure I want to go through the adjustment - but then again my old glove just doesn't catch the ball anymore.

How much is our old life pre-Christ like my old baseball glove? That life of sin and giving in to temptation and living for self was so comfortable. We'd lived it so long that we have grown accustomed to it, and there are times that we are seemingly unwilling to part with it.

Christ has graciously given us a new life in order to replace our old life of sin. Our old life was leading us towards death, while this new life leads us towards eternity - the best life possible. Our response to this amazing gift ought to be to completely rid ourselves of our old life and its habits - despite their beckon to comfort and habit. My baseball glove used to be able to perform its function well, but now I can't even catch a ball with it - Truth is, regarding our old life, its only function ever, was to lead us to death. New life in Christ allows us to really live and do so forever.

However, like a new glove, new life in Christ is not always easy, and it does require some effort, time and work at adjustment. New life in Christ requires persistence and habitually doing the work of thankful obedience. This work stands in stark contrast to the comfortable work of our old life, but like a new glove, the more you do it, the more comfortable and rewarding the new life will become.

Thanks be to God for giving us new life, and for transforming us from death to life. I guess I ought to pony up and purchase a new glove after all...oh well, at least I'll get to go to the Sports store :)

Be God's, Scott

No comments:

Post a Comment