Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Help Is On The Way

"I lift up my eyes to the mountains - where does my help come from? My help comes from the LORD, the maker of heaven and earth." Psalm 121: 1-2

After dinner last night, as I was just beginning to enjoy my book, my son popped his head in and said, "Um Dad, my laptop is doing something weird, can you come and fix it for me?" My love of my son overcame my laconic after dinner haze, and I got up and went to the kitchen to check it out. Now, I know a little bit about computers, but not nearly enough to consider myself as any sort true help to anyone. However, what little I do know can be illuminated by the online support people and available FAQ's.

I spent a good deal of time trying to figure out why the battery on my son's year old laptop was dead and unchargeable. I went to the manual. I plinked around with the preloaded computer applications in order to test it. I went to online forums, FAQ's, and the HP website support. I went everywhere I could think of going, and quite frankly I wasn't getting anywhere. I distinctly remember thinking aloud..."what I really need is Bill Gates to walk through that door and tell me what the problem is." Well, Bill never came to help, but I did eventually read enough to figure out that my son needed a new $30 battery.

Have you ever thought that before when frustrated and in need of help? If only the expert, the one who invented this thing, could walk in and show me what to do!

Computer troubles are the least of our worries, aren't they? Batteries and error messages pale in comparison to the difficulties that routinely pop up in our life. We cry out for help in the midst of our helplessness when someone close to us dies unexpectedly...when we lose our job...when we receive a debilitating illness or injury...when a natural disaster takes away our home...when an intimate relationship is on the tipping point of ending...when our addictions threaten us anew.

When you are in need of help - to whom do you direct your cry? Where does your help come from?

I have faith that the Lord will answer my cry, swoop in, and give me exactly the help I need in any given situation. After all, He says He will in His word, and who am I to question God's word?
And why shouldn't He? He is the maker of heaven and earth - in other words, the almighty expert on everything and anything to do with life in this universe. He has the ability to handle and help any of our problems because He is greater than all of them - He is the maker of all things!

Who are we to fret or despair in our troubles? Why should we ever let them overtake us? All we need to do is to cry out for the maker of life.

Our help comes from Him.

Be God's, Scott

No comments:

Post a Comment