Thursday, February 26, 2009

The Fast That I Have Chosen

"Is this not the fast that I have chosen: To loose the bonds of wickedness, to undo the heavy burdens, to let the oppressed go free, and that you break every yoke? Is it not to share your bread with the hungry, and that you bring your house the poor who are cast out; when you see the naked, you cover him, and hide not yourself from your own flesh? Then, your light shall break forth like the morning, your healing shall spring forth speedily, and your righteousness shall go before you." Isaiah 58: 6-8

Throughout my years as a Youth Pastor I was always left invigorated and encouraged by the honest and earnest Christianity of teens. They really taught me a lot about a healthy and passionate spirituality that often defies the controlled conventions that we adults like to place around it. Teens are always ready to experiment with different forms of spiritual practice, and are not afraid to think outside the box. In fact, over the years, whenever lent rolled around, I would come across teens discussing what they were going to fast from over the Lenten season. Sometimes it was chocolate, or TV, or facebook, (though I haven't yet heard of anyone fasting from Text messaging...I'm sure there is someone out there doing that as well ;)

Whenever a teen shared with me their fasting strategy, I always asked them the same question - "Why on earth are you fasting?" Answers were mixed reflecting a desire for experimentation, being a part of the chic thing to do, and worship, but they always led us into a good conversation as to the importance of intent. Jesus, himself said regarding fasting, "when you fast, do not be like the hypocrites, with a sad countenance. For they disfigure their faces that they may appear to men to be fasting." Matt. 6:16 In other words God is looking for expressions of inner humility and repentance in fasting and not just a going through the motions outer display (particularly one that screams "Look at me! Aren't I holy!")

I think that fasting is a wonderful way to identify with Christ during this Lenten season. In self- denial not only does one acquire some empathy for the self-denial and humility of Jesus, but one also clears out some of the noise and clutter in ones own life, allowing a more honest self-reflection.

One thing in particular that God has been teaching me over the past few years is that Christianity is much more than just personal relationship with Jesus. It is far greater than me, doing all I can to grow closer to God. Beyond that, it involves me, being a part of a called out community, to partner with Christ in redeeming this world that He so loves. With this mind, I think Lent, and the fasting that comes with it, needs to be much more than a season or ritual that revolves around me and my relationship with God alone. Fasting is more than a mere exercise in personal piety. I think that's why I like this Isaiah passage so much.

Isaiah called out the Israelites who were fasting as a form of habit in a spiritual vacuum as it were. In God's eyes, fasting is not just eliminating something like food, but in fact consuming in its place redemptive justice and love. In other words we do not fast in order to be idle - our fasting should inevitably lead to identifying with Christ in our love for our communities and our world.

So for those of you who have chosen to fast in some way during lent (and for those of you who haven't...there's still time ;) may I challenge you this morning with the words of Isaiah as to the intent and purpose of your fast?

How are you undoing the heavy burdens of the oppressed and setting them free?
How are you sharing your bread with the hungry?
How are you sharing your home with the homeless?
How are you clothing the poor and naked?

As you contemplate these questions, may the Lord give you opportunity to live them out in love, in the place where God has called you - and as a result may your light break forth like the morning, your healing spring forth quickly, and your righteousness go before you.

Be God's, Scott

1 comment: